Keeping Your Fragile Items Safe During a Move
Moving Preparation - May 12, 2022
Out on the road during a move, a lot of unexpected things can happen. Just one unfortunate bump in the road could create issues when it comes to fragile items. This is why keeping your fragile items safe during a move is one of the key aspects of moving. Just imagine your grandma’s fine china getting smashed and you know what we’re talking about. Moving boxes are handled by a bunch of people, the truck is moving quickly, and your items need to be protected. The biggest protection is the way you pack them. If you pack them tight and secure, they won’t have the space to move! Or a way to get damaged at all. That’s why today at Evolution Moving Company NB we’ve decided to share a few tips.
Use appropriately sized boxes
Keeping your fragile items safe during a move is no joke. You might need to go the extra mile and find specific boxes for your breakables. The perfect-sized box for a fragile item is approximately as tall as the item and as wide as the item. This way your items are less likely to move during the drive, and more likely to stay in one place. But, just placing your items in a box isn’t enough! You need to fill up the box with appropriate padding. Usually, people use bubble wrap or packing paper. Be sure to fill up the box to the brim! It’s better that your item has no room at all to move around.
Also, if you have some items with their original boxes – that is the perfect solution! There is no better fit than the original box, and more often than not, these boxes have styrofoam padding. This padding is perfectly made to fit the item and protect it. For some extra safety, you can always add more bubble wrap and packing paper. Just remember to label your fragile items with the word FRAGILE for your residential movers San Antonio TX. Movers do a lot of relocations and when they don’t see the fragile label they can be less careful with the boxes.
Secure the boxes
You might be thinking that you’re done. The items are in their intended boxes, that’s it, right? Well, not really. You still need to secure the boxes for that extra protection. Your boxes could open during transport if you didn’t pay attention to them. To fix this issue, we recommend taping up the boxes as many times as you can. Put a few layers of duct tape all over and make sure that none of it is budging! Also, a good tip is to shake the box once you’re done. Shake it gently just to hear if anything is moving inside. If you hear your item moving a bit, you need to secure it better.
We know our tips might sound like too much, but when it comes to valuables, it’s very important. Sentimental or very expensive items need extra care. Also, we’d like you to know that we do realize this is a lot of work. And there is no shame if you don’t have the time. Who does nowadays anyway? But, you may be happy to hear that there are a number of packing services San Antonio to choose from. If you don’t want to spend your time doing the packing and securing. let the professionals take care of it. This might rack up the bill for your moving process, but you’ll see how well worth it professionals are. Also, always ask about insurance policies! Most moving companies offer complete insurance of your items since they know they will not break them. Look for those companies.
What are some details you need to pay attention to?
Fragile items come in all shapes and sizes, so we’ve prepared a list of things to do for specific items. Some can be harder to keep safe, while others are pretty straightforward. Let’s get into the details.
- Place heavier items on the bottom – The larger items are heavier. Place those in the bottom to get the support you need for the lighter items. If these items are glass, be sure to have the proper stuffing materials in between.
- Use dividers – When keeping your fragile items safe during a move, dividers are life-savers. Dividers are little pieces of cardboard that people place in between items, and you can even make your own dividers. Usually, you would use them for glasses or other smaller breakables. These dividers will prevent your items from touching and maybe damaging each other.
- Wrap each item – This is a very important step. You need to make sure that each item is protected as well as possible. Most fragile items won’t react well to rubbing against each other in the boxes. So, choose dividers for smaller items, and protect the larger ones individually.
- Fill up hollow items – Vases, glasses, and even plates need to be filled up. It is enough to just use crumpled packing paper. Fill them to the brim and place them carefully.
- Clearly label the fragile items – We’ve already mentioned this. But, it deserves a second mention. Your movers Converse TX are professionals, but even they can make mistakes. Label your items clearly, this will help your movers out and let them know which boxes need to be handled delicately.
- Take your time – Moving is stressful and takes a lot of time and energy. This is just a fact. Your fragile items will need even more care and time. Be prepared that packing your fragile items isn’t an easy task and will likely take a bit of time.
We hope our tips have been of help. Now go on to keeping your fragile items safe during a move and enjoy them once you arrive!