Pros and cons of renting a moving truck
Moving Preparation - June 29, 2020
Moving is all about decisions. You have to see if you want to hire the best moving company Texas or organize a DIY relocation. It is not an easy decision to make. There are many things to consider. If you move on your own, then, you will need to find a moving truck. Is a DIY move truly saving your budget? Renting a moving truck might not be such a great decision you first thought it would be. For this reason, let’s see all the advantages and disadvantages of a moving truck. It might be fit perfectly for your move or you should consider getting professional help.
Pros of renting a moving truck
Let’s start on a positive note. There are many advantages to renting a moving truck. Here are all of them.
When you are relocating to Texas, you can opt for a DIY move. Some people want to be in control. Organizing a DIY move gives you full control. This also means choosing the moving truck. You need to choose the moving truck based on the number of items you have. In addition to this, you will have to decide whether you should make two journeys or not. When you are moving locally, this is not a problem. However, when you are moving to another state, this would mean wasting time and money on travel. Still, if you do not trust other drivers, you will have the control of choosing your route and time.
Moving is stressful because you have to move out by a certain date. If you have a full-time job, kids, pets, college, school, then packing comes last. For this reason, you might not have enough time to prepare everything. Residential movers will arrive on your moving day and everything should be ready by then. However, if you do not have a strict moving out day, you should opt for a DIY move. This also means loading a moving truck at your own pace. In addition to this, you do not have to worry about hourly fees. Rental prices for a moving truck are usually calculated by the day. This is not a rule but you can find a rental company that calculates rental prices per day.
Apart from being stressful, moving is also quite expensive. As mentioned, organizing a DIY move can be a solution. There are also other ways to save money when moving, such as not buying packing supplies, but getting them for free, etc. For people that have a smaller budget, it is better to rent a moving truck than to hire movers. It might be more affordable. Most local movers use hourly fees. As mentioned before, you will pay for a truck by the number of days you will use it. You can also ask your friends to help you instead of hiring movers.
Renting a moving truck vs a van
You might be debating whether to rent a moving truck or borrow a van from your friends. Here are all the reasons for choosing the truck.
- Height – a moving truck is taller than a van. Therefore, you can move tall items, such as refrigerators.
- More space – if you a lot of items, you should rent the truck. In addition to this, vans are wider at the bottom and narrower at the top. This means you will be left with unused space. Your items might move during the transit thus, end up with damage.
Cons of renting a moving truck
Now onto the disadvantages. Maybe you should not rent the truck for the following reasons.
- Logistics – it can be quite challenging to find a suitable truck for an affordable price on weekends. In addition to this, since you need some help, your friends are probably only free on the weekends.
- Gas prices – again, when you are moving locally, this is not a problem. However, if you are moving across the country, you need to think about high gas costs, hotels, food, etc. It might be better to hire movers instead.
- Liability – if you break or damage some of your items, you will have to replace it. In addition to this, if you cause any damage to the truck, you will be responsible to pay for repairs. Either hire movers so they will responsible for any damage or find a rental company that offers insurance for rental trucks.
Even more disadvantages
Unfortunately, there is more.
- Added charges – just like there are hidden costs when hiring a moving company, there are ones when renting a truck. For example, if you return the truck with less fuel, the difference will be added to your bill.
- Drivers – you will probably drive the truck. However, what happens if you lose your driving license or you do not have enough driving experience?
- Credit cards – some rental companies only accept credit cards or they ask for a deposit.
- Help – you cannot load the truck by yourself. You will need help from your friends and the proper moving equipment. If you do not have help and equipment, you can injure yourself.
How to rent a moving truck
You have to find a rental company when you want to rent the truck. The best way to find a company is to ask your friends and family for some recommendations. If not, then turn to the old reliable Google. Avoid renting from companies that have bad reviews and reputation. Make sure to check the truck you will rent. Check its condition. In addition to this, read your rental contract before sign it. You need to understand all the policies. For example, what to do in the case of emergency, which fuel to use, when to return, etc. It is important to work out details in advance so you can avoid having problems later.