What is the cost of renovating your Texas home?
After the Relocation - July 22, 2020
When you are relocating to Texas, you probably want to live in a house of your dreams. However, sometimes, this is not possible. Either your dream house is not listed or you cannot afford it. It happens. Luckily, you can change every single thing you do not like about your new/old house. You can renovate your home. Now, renovating your house is not simple. You will have to live in a construction zone for some period of time. This means saying goodbye to your comfort. In addition to this, it is expensive to renovate your home. How much expensive? Here is the cost of renovating your Texas home explained.
The average cost of renovating your Texas home
The exact cost of renovating your home depends on several factors. For example, how much you will renovate, the city where you live, the materials used, what you will replace, etc. The cost will be different if you plan to renovate only your kitchen as opposed to renovating your entire home. However, you can get some rough idea. Here’s an example:
- $25,000 to $45,000 – repainting your walls and small repairs around the house
- $46,000 to $75,000 – everything above plus the kitchen
- $76,000 and up – everything above plus the bathroom and all the major problems, such as foundation issue, etc.
As you can see, the most expensive parts of the house would be the kitchen and bathroom. Why? Well, household appliances commonly found in these rooms are expensive. In addition to this, do not forget the contractors. They will ask between $5,000 to $7,500 for a $50,000 renovation.
Finances and paperwork for renovation
The reason for doing a renovation should not be only for aesthetic purposes. Renovation can and will raise the value of your property. For this reason, it is important to plan accordingly. If you ever end up selling your house, you can get ask for more money. First, do the market research. See what is currently popular. Then, try to combine your personal wishes with generally sought-after features. In addition to this, it would be wise to get advice from experts. If you have friends or family members that work as real estate agents, ask for their help. Usually, friends and family members will not ask for money for giving advice. However, experts will, so this is a good way to save money. Also, remember to get all the permission for renovation. Usually, you will have to pay certain fees.
Planning the cost of renovating your Texas home
If you plan to renovate your home even before you move in, tell your best moving company Texas to deliver your items to your storage unit. You need to protect your furniture when renovating your home. If not, the renovation cost will increase. When planning your budget, start with permission costs. These costs will depend on your location. This means going to your local office and asking employees there. Usually, they are around $250. Again, this number differs depending on your city, part of the down, state, country, and so on. Then, contact your contractors. Explain to them your plans. These people should come to assess your house, take measures, and so on. If you work in this field, then you already have an idea of your renovation cost. In any case, prepare your budget well in advance. Plan to spend at least $20,000.
Adding an extension & open concept
If your house is too small, you will have problems with storage space. You can rent a storage unit. However, this means monthly expenses. That is why you can add an extension. You will need permissions for this feat. Usually, you will spend between $35,000 and $50,000. Again, this depends on the size of your extension and the quality of materials used. Additionally, an open concept house has been extremely popular in recent years. You can probably see the reason behind it. It is a big advantage to see your living room from your kitchen, especially when you have the guests over or supervising your kids when making lunch. If you want to go for an open space concept, first, see if your home can handle it. If the wall that divides your kitchen from the living room is supporting the entire structure, you need to leave it there.
The cost of renovating your Texas home in short
Since you are planning to renovate your home, here are more numbers to consider.
- Structural movement – when your house is built on unstable foundations, you need to change it. It is hard to tell the cost since it depends on the condition of your foundations.
- Repairing a roof – again, it is hard to tell. For this reason, consult your contractors.
- Timber problems – if your house is mainly built from wood, you might have problems with woodworms, rooting, etc. The cost can go between $600 to $1500.
- Repairing or replacing windows – good insulation is important. It will decrease your utility bills. For this reason, you need to repair or even replace your windows. The cost is between $150 to $2000.
- Insulating a house – again, insulate your house properly. The cost of this job is between $4000 to $13,000.
Here are some more to consider.
- Rewiring a house – it depends if you will rewire the entire house or just some parts. For this reason, you have a price range from $500 to $4,000.
- Central heating – from $1,500 to $5000. Usually, older houses do not have central heating installed.
- The kitchen – the heart of every house and also the most expensive one to renovate. You will need a couple of thousands of dollars.
- The bathroom – the other expensive room. From $2,000 to $10,000.
There you have all the numbers. However, remember, these are all just average costs. You need to consult with professionals. They are the only ones who can tell you the exact number for your renovation costs. However, be realistic about your wishes. You need to adapt your expectations to the condition of your house.